Thursday, March 23, 2006

Isolée


Isolée
Wearemonster
(2005)

Rating: 8.0



The anal fixations and ridiculous specifications that you get on Electronic review sites don't do the music any favours. I discovered that I have been a fan of Drill’n’Bass but also that I have a taste for what’s considered by most to be cheap and tacky (no surprise there). A lot of what I like came under the horrible classification of Intelligent Dance Music (IDM), as if music in clubs is stupid because it has to appeal to more than one person. As far as I’m concerned, there are three genres of Electronic Music. Going to Sleep Electronica (Brian Eno), A Bit of Dancing Electronica (Vitalic) and I Have My Headphones On Electronica (Squarepusher). This superb album by Isolée falls into the last category.

The good people at Almostcool tell me that this album comes under the heading of Micro-House and although I’m reluctant to use any of the going lingo, that seems like a very appropriate title. Most of what’s happening is subtle and localised. There are no huge throbbing passages or wild electro jiggery-pokery. The songs rely on a few playfully simple elements and they trip along without much of a fuss or eagerness to please.

There are a few warm propulsive numbers (Pictureloved, Madchen Mit Hase) and some superbly paced guitar tracks (Schrapnell, Today). The wonderful My Hi-Matic zips along with some lovely synths and motorized blipology. The songs sit very well together and there is enough intrigue and diversity to warrant a complete run though each time. If you like I Have My Headphones On Electronica, then this is the perfect album for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home