Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sparks


Sparks
Hello Young Lovers
(2006)

Rating: 7.8

Just when you thought you'd had enough of hysterical mini-operas with sleazy innuendo, the brothers Mael serve up yet another hilariously inventive album for our delectation. I'm not going to spoil any of the jokes or musical surprises by mentioning them here but if you know anything about Sparks then you'll expect rediculously dramatic orchestration, ominous chanting, dubious rhyming schemes and solid-gold irony.

Its biologically impossible not to be charmed by songs like Dick Around, Waterproof and Perfume. Each one makes me do a little dance under my desk and I'm really not sure what stops me from punching the air in public when they sing:

"But all I do now is Dick Around!
the sun goes up, the moon comes down,
All I do now is dick around. Dick Around!"

I don't want to spoil any more of the jokes so I'll just finish by saying that the glorious (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country? made me Monty Python-trot around Temple Bar and Metaphor gave me renewed confidence in tired chat up techniques. Its just a bit of fun really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home